Spicy ginger oats with cinnamon apples
- 2 apples
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 80g oats (ideally sprouted)
- 350ml unsweetened oat milk
- 1 star anise
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- Handful of blueberries & blackberries (either fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 tablespoons toasted flaked almonds
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar (can sub for any sugar you want)
- 1 tablespoon chocolate drops (optional) or you can use nibs instead if you prefer.
Cut the apples into smaller chunks around a couple inches thick. Place in a large saucepan with a lid and a little water just enough to cover the bottom. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Put the lid on and heat on low for around 5-10mins until the apples are soft. Check every few minutes and add a bit more water if you need. Once softened remove from the heat.
In another saucepan add the oats, oat milk, star anise, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, vanilla and sea salt. Mix to combine. Heat gently for 5 minutes.
Divide between two bowls. Then divide the amounts of your toppings including the berries, almond butter, flaked almonds, sprinkling the coconut sugar and chocolate drops or nibs (if using).