Spicy ginger oats with cinnamon apples
- 2 apples
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 80g oats (ideally sprouted or soak overnight in water and rinse through in the morning)
- 350ml unsweetened oat milk
- 1 star anise
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- Handful of blueberries & blackberries (either fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 tablespoons toasted flaked almonds
Cut the apples into smaller chunks around a couple inches thick. Place in a large saucepan with a lid and a little water just enough to cover the bottom. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Put the lid on and heat on low for around 5-10mins until the apples are soft. Check every few minutes and add a bit more water if you need. Once softened remove from the heat.
In another saucepan add the oats, oat milk, star anise, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, vanilla and sea salt. Mix to combine. Heat gently for 5 minutes.
Divide between two bowls. Top with the almond butter and berries.