Cauli ‘polenta’ with shimeji & hazelnuts
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus a little extra to finish
- 8 tablespoons grated Parmesan or other unpasteurised hard cheese (sub in 6 tablespoons (20g) of nutritional yeast flakes for vegan version)
- Mineral rich salt and black pepper
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 8-10 button mushrooms (sliced)
- 150g (1 small punnet) shimeji mushrooms (or use other mushrooms such as shiitake)
- 1 tablespoon organic butter or ghee (sub in coconut oil for vegan version)
- 4-6 tablespoons coconut aminos
- Small cupped handful hazelnuts (lightly toasted, then lightly crushed)
- Hazelnut oil or truffle oil to dress (optional)
- Fresh herb of choice finely chopped (chervil or flat-leaf parsley works best)
Pre heat oven to 200C/Gas 6. Line a baking tray or oven proof dish with baking parchment.
Place the cauliflower, garlic and onion on the lined tray and oroast for approx 25 mins. (NOTE you can add in the hazelnuts for the last 5 minutes of cooking if you haven’t pre roasted)
Add the roasted cauliflower, onion & garlic to a food processor. Then add in the olive oil, Parmesan (or nutritional yeast), a few decent pinches of salt and pepper and the lemon juice and a touch of water to thin as desired. Pulse until you have a smooth, creamy, polenta-like texture.
To cook the mushrooms heat the butter, ghee or coconut oil in a pan, add all the mushrooms and cook on a medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the coconut aminos and cook for a further minute. Remove from heat.
To serve, divide the cauliflower mix between the two plates, spoon the mushroom mixture on top, then add the hazelnuts, drizzle with a touch more olive oil and garnish with fresh herbs.